Monday, July 27, 2009

True Aggies never fall we bet you Take'em all for old navy blue and white! RAH! RAH! RAH!


I am only a couple of weeks behind in my blogging. But, that's better than my scrapbooking. I don't even want to think about how behind I am on that.

A couple of weeks ago, we spent a couple of days in Logan for the Cache Valley Cup. It was fun to be in Logan again. I didn't realize how long it had been until we got there. So much of it is so different. And, so much is still the same. It was fun to take the kids and Jer around and show them where my memories were made. I was only there for not quite two years but, it was such a great time in my life. I started out being my big sisters roommate in Greeves 221. And, the next year, I roomed with Stephanie and Laurie in Merrill 431. Funny - the things you remember. I showed them where the ole church with two chapels is, where I used to work (Western Watts), the Aggie Ice Cream, the cemetery, the Logan Temple grounds, and where the boys of 743 lived. For some reason, the thing I remember about hangin' with the boys of 743 is when we used to throw old biscuits at the building and watch them explode. Matt worked at Village Inn (of course) and would bring home all the biscuits at the end of the day. I guess you'll take what you can get for entertainment when you are as poor as we all were. And my favorite memory about Merrill 431 would be waking up to Jermaine brushing his teeth in the bathroom in his gold chains and a tiny towel. Remember that, Steph? BTW I still make your Smedley Enchilladas! My kids love them!



I also remember it being freaking cold! So cold that there were many o' days when I would have rather stayed in bed all bundled up. But, during the soccer tournament, it was far from cold! It was darn close to 100 degrees every day we were there. Normally I don't complain about the heat. But, when you are sitting out on the soccer field for hours on end with absolutely no shade, it starts to wear you down. The first day, Josh got heat stroke and lost his lunch. We spent the hour between each game at the hotel with the air cranked as high as it would go. Fortunately, by the second day, the officials started giving water breaks during each half of the games.


I don't know how well you can see these pictures, but this is our team. Yes, we are small. The boys worked harder than any other team there because we only had two subs. Some of the teams we played had so many players that they were playing with team A and team B. We are also losing Noah, our Keeper. His family is moving to California so this was his last tournament with us. We will miss him but, Josh is excited to get back in the box.

He played Keeper with his old team. With USA, he has mostly played Forward and just been the back up keeper. He played Keeper a lot at the tournament in order to get back into the swing of things. He loves it! Even with an injured knee, he had some amazing saves!

Josh's coach got a new puppy just days before the tourny so they brought him with them to Logan. His is a "chug." A mix between a chihuahua and a pug. I am definitely not a dog lover, but I will fully admit to loving this one!

Emma is drawn to all animals. I don't think either of the girls saw much soccer. They were busy dog sitting.
I forgot to take my umbrella that I usually take to the soccer games. It only took the first game to talk me into running to Big5 between games and buying a new one. We found one that was about the same size as the one we had at home. We set it up every game and it was a life saver! It's amazing how a little shade helps so much!
This picture makes me laugh. This is Jer and Jonathan (coaches). They were obviously in a deep discussion over something. I'd like to assume they were talking about the game. We layered Jer in spf 50 before every game and he still ended up fried! The team gave these shirts to the coaches (they have their names on them). Jer wasn't thrilled about wearing his, but gave in on day 2. They actually looked really good. But the best part is the v-neck sunburn Jer got! So funny. He was trying his darndest the next Monday to hide the v-neck line before going to work. Love it.
What a fun "staycation." We all had a good time getting away from the normal stresses at home, taking a walk down memory lane, getting some serious tan lines, and watching/playing some soccer. Can't wait till the next one!!

7 comments:

RRWhicker said...

Hello fellow Aggie! I went to school there from 1997-2001 and I loved it and Logan. And my Freshman year I stayed in Greeves though on the 3rd floor. It was a workout just bringing in the groceries. Anyway thanks the trip down memory lane.

This is Rachel Whicker btw, in case you know lots of Rachels. :-)

The Sumsions said...

Hilarious about that kid brushing his teeth because I remember coming up there one weekend and you telling me about waking up to find your roomie's boyfriend in your bathroom. Funny! Also remember some fun dances up there, and waiting for Chad or Matt or maybe both to get off work and them following Steph around like lost puppies - - at least at that dance they did. Come on guys, you know it's true! I love little trips down memory lane - glad it was a good one!

Hendricksonblog said...

I actually love how frigid cold it gets there. nothing like when your snot freezes before it runs to your lip. What is not to love about out of the house college days. Of course I loved my in the house college days too. I like to take advantage of any opportunity for fun.

Chad said...

You should have done what I did on those cold days.... I stayed in bed. Of course, I stayed in bed a lot of warm days too! Say what you will, I still graduated with a 3.6.

I have a memory of Greeves that I don't think you were there for... we were picking up Cari to drive her down to Snow because we were visiting you. I am not sure who's idea it was, and I am not sure the statute of limitations is up so I will remember even less, but I do recall a certain full moon at mid day aimed at the window of one of the greeves hall apartments that was full of its renters. Oh, the good old days.

Chad said...

Oh, and Angie....Steph followed me around, just for the record. Ask her, its true, at least that is how I remember it.

Side not: my verification word for this comment is "Kolob" Hahaaaa.

Anonymous said...

We lived in Providence for one year. That year the kids weren't allowed to play outside, it was one of the worse winters. A restaurant burned down in Smithfield and the yucky air stuck around forever. I thought we were all going to get lung cancer or something. One of the prettiest places and I loved the Bull Semen place as you are coming into town

Lynsee said...

I remember coming to visit and eating Aggie icecream! Yummy! That corner looks familiar. I used to love to visit my older sisters and couldn't wait til I went to college there. Ha ha!

FIFTEEN Years

Independence Day 2008

Disneyland Vacation 2008

California Adventures

Sea World

Breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen

Newport Beach and The Crab Cooker