Sunday, February 14, 2010

Three Torches are Better Than None

So granted there was a minor mishap during Opening Ceremonies, but that didn't bother us. I would love to take credit for this fun idea, but it was Jer. He suggested that we each draw a country (from a hat of all the countries participating in the Olympic games). Then, from Opening to Closing Ceremonies, that country is the team you cheer for. On Friday, for Opening Ceremonies, we had a few people over and we ate food from the different countries we are cheering for. The countries represented are: Spain, Poland, Australia, Germany, Greece and Italy. Then we have all been cheering for the U.S.A. team! It's been fun so far for the kids to feel like they really have a reason to follow each sport and cheer for the athletes. And, we've all had fun learning about the different cultures.


It helps that we have a dad that is amazing with food. Jer either made something from each country or found a little something at a Deli. We had a good variety of food from all over the world: stuffed grape leaves, gyros, sauerkraut, bratwurst, marinated olives, prosciutto, breads, pitas, anchovies on toast, lemon rice and kabobs, and even a little baklava for desert.

The below picture is my mom, Cari and I trying the anchovies - nasty. But, I did try it! I thought I would like them (there's really not many foods I don't like), but the fishy flavor at the end was too much for me and I had to spit it out. Ick. I couldn't even do it for Jeff Probst. I think my mom cried. Okay, maybe not, but the dance she did was entertaining.

Notice we all have olives in our hands in case we needed a chaser. I needed more than that.

Do you think these two are related?

We spent our Valentine's Day making cookies (and anything else we thought would look cute in the shape of a heart). After I make a batch of sugar cookies, I usually give Erin the last little bit for her to entertain herself with. She takes it so seriously. She rolled it out and cut hearts until there was none left. Fortunately, she knows she can only play with it OR eat it. Not both. And, we don't bake these. They are so nasty by the time she gets done handling the dough.

(Don't mind the heart shaped crayons in the middle of her work space)

They are cute little cookies and so is she.

After going to Grandma B.'s to see all the cousins and then delivering our other Valentine's, we came home to wind down (or clean up the cookie mess that was still waiting for me). As I was cleaning things up, I noticed this in the corner of the front room. I know it's hard to see but I had to be sneaky about taking a picture. Erin LOVES to read (she is still in the pretending to read stage, but we are getting there). She had gotten a couple of books out to read to her baby so Jer decided to help her with the actual reading part of it. It was one of those moments that I couldn't resist getting my camera out for.

Hope you all had a fun Vday. I tend to make fun of the holiday (like I told the kids that I was wondering if Jer would get me something or if he was planning to break up with me - I got tulips... whew), but I do love all the kid stuff. I absolutely love my flowers and I love the excuse it gives us to go out on a date. But, growing up I always hated Vday. Anyway, after we are done celebrating President's Day today, we will move on to another "just because" kind of holiday - St. Patrick's Day.

4 comments:

Julie W said...

Drawing countries is a great idea. Maybe we should do something like that. The food looks great! What an awesome Olympics party!!

Hendricksonblog said...

I dont think I would have even tried the anchovies so good for u guys. That pic of him reading with her is cute. I still hate V-tines day. LAME. ST Pattys is better but for no reason at all besides there are no hearts.

Aimee said...

why did you hate vday? I'm your mom and I don't remember that!!! The anchovies were really, really bad, but the rest of the nite was fun!

Aimee said...

Oops, I guess I,m signed in as you, sorry. MOM

FIFTEEN Years

Independence Day 2008

Disneyland Vacation 2008

California Adventures

Sea World

Breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen

Newport Beach and The Crab Cooker