Monday, June 28, 2010

Bananas Unite


Genesis, Ivy, Brielle, Tasha, Alyssa, Katie, Carli, Jessie, Sydnee, Taylor, Kaetlyn, Jill, Jackie,
Ashley, Tammy, me, Kristin, Maddie, Hillari, Whitney, McKel, Aubriel, Tegan.

Flushing toilets, running water, air conditioning, a real bed, clean feet... these are just a few of the conveniences I am glad to be back to. You know it's been a good week when you walk into the Park City Wendy's and the girls get excited about how "nice" the public restroom is.

Girls Camp is seriously one of my favorite things. I know I'm a nerd. I loved it when I was a Young Woman, and I love it still. Aside from having no water this year, it was an awesome experience. I love camping. I love the dirt and the grime and cooking in dutch ovens and feeding the leftovers to the chipmunks. But, most of all, I love the girls. I know. Sap. I don't usually get all cheese head on my blog. But, there's such a rewarding feeling when the girls stand up to share their testimony and you realize they really have been paying attention - that it all hasn't been for not.

We had a huge group this year - lot's of young women and and lot's of great leaders. There's a lot I could say and details I could share, but I think I'd rather summarize with pictures. Bare with the appearance of us all - this is one time when it's a good thing pictures don't smell. 4 days + 24 girls + 7 leaders + 3 mile hike + 4 hours sleep at night - water and flushing toilets = ew.


The last couple of years, we cover the tables in plastic and let the girls design them with sharpies. Love it.

This is moments before I experienced my first fire roasted twinkie. Thanks Maddie. And roasted Starburst (tastes like a warm fruit gusher - pretty cool, actually).

This is Tammy experiencing camp for the second time - she's now a professional when it comes to songs around the campfire. BANANAS UNITE - and you peel to the left and you peel to the right... my mom gave me a dime so I can buy a lime, but I don't buy no lime.. I buy me some BUMBA CHICKY CHICKY BUMBA...


These are the leaders that are teaching your daughters. Sad but true.

Tammy, Jill, Ashley, me, Kristin, Jackie, Hillari and Maryanne

I had the best Secret Sister. On day two, I got a bundle of dark chocolate and a poster of Taylor Lautner (Shark boy/Jacob). And, me being Team Edward, thought I would give it away. This was the highlight of girls camp. A bunch of screaming teenage girls as I unrolled the poster... begging... drooling... wanting. It was great. From that moment on, I was getting back rubs, foot massages, special cookies frosted for me and love notes. I worked it.. took advantage.. made them suffer a little. And, at our awards party, I will give it away. (note to girls: no decision has been made. I'm still open to some brown nosing.)

Tasha and Alyssa are both fourth year campers/youth leaders and needed to pass of "dutch oven cooking." It was fun to teach them. I think I will put it to the test and see if Tasha really knows how to light charcoal, cook in the dutch oven and then clean them. .

Overall, camp was awesome. It always is. Even though I'm a complete waste at home now and can't get caught up on my sleep. Until next year...

6 comments:

Hendricksonblog said...

Have a few leaders!!! Seriously you slackers just wanted to get away from your kids. Looks like fun but I was so glad on Sat when I saw you guys pull in with all your filth that I wasn't helping. I could smell you from Nellies house, oh wait that was me, I hadn't showered yet from the run. HA HA
Party On MOM!!!

Hernandez Family said...

I miss girls camp!

Chad said...

You think your a waste at home? Rebecca went to camp last week as well. What does that have to do with anything you ask? Well, I played Mr Mom for the whole time. Men are not built to take care of the kids 24/7 for more than 12 hours in a row. It happens to me too often: Girls camp every year, Day after Thanksgiving shopfest, and once a year when Rebecca goes to Buffalo to visit her sis. I know, I need to reset the rules in my household.

Hendricksonblog said...

LOL Chad. 24/7 and 12 hours in a row. Funny!
Yes good men try but they just aren't as good at it.

Julie W said...

Lucky!! I love girls camp! Sounds like you had a GREAT time!

cheers for chocolate said...

I want to see the dance that goes with the song!

FIFTEEN Years

Independence Day 2008

Disneyland Vacation 2008

California Adventures

Sea World

Breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen

Newport Beach and The Crab Cooker