One of my favorite things to do this time of year is make Valentine Cookies! And not just any Valentine Cookies, they have to be Grandma Bunn's rolled cookies. I wish I had a picture of my grandma, but without finding one at my moms, I don't have one. I know that seems crazy - to not have any pictures of your grandma. But, my Grandma Bunn died when I was very young. I think I was 2 or 3. Her real name is Florence Ludlow Harrison. I'm not sure where Bunn came from, but that is what everyone knew her by. Though I don't remember a lot about my grandma, I do remember a lot about her cooking. She could make something great out of not much. Anyone who knows our family, knows about grandmas homemade chicken n' noodles. She would make noodles from scratch. I feel very fortunate in that she taught my mom how to make this special dish and my mom taught me. This particular dish is now my childrens favorite. Last time I made it, Emma was up on a chair with her apron on cutting the noodles with the thread. I, like my mom, am working on teaching my children how to make Grandma Bunns chicken n' noodles. Another favorite was her soft boiled eggs. I know, sounds strange. But she used to cook an egg to perfection. Then, to eat the egg, she would cut it in half (shell and all) and scoop the egg out with a spoon. I don't eat eggs like that too often any more, but I do remember them tasting like no other when I was young. And, of course, there are her cookies. The funny thing is that I don't actually remember her making these. She was a diabetic and only ever had the sugar free candies (that I knew of anyway). But, my mom made these cookies and now I do. They are the best sugar cookies ever! I am a huge fan of sugar cookies. I might even call myself an expert in the sugar cookie department. And, I do believe these are the best! I never share one without getting ooo's and ahh's with every bight. So, I have decided to share the recipe. I might regret it. But, then again, maybe it's not just the recipe. Maybe I can cook. LOL. So, with love for my Grandma Bunn this Valentine's Day, I share with you her recipe for Valentine's Cookies. Enjoy.
Rolled Cookies
2 cups granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 cup butter
7 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup milk
Preheat oven to 375. In mixer, combine first three ingredients until creamy. Add vanilla. In a seperate bowl, combine dry ingredients. Turn mixer to low and add milk and dry ingredients, alternating. Cover counter with flour. Dough will be sticky. Roll out on flour dusting. Roll thick. Cut. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet for 8 mins. Do not over cook. Remove and let cool. Frost with desired frosting.
makes 7-8 dozen.
Homemade Frosting
powdered sugar (lots)
milk (tiny bit)
butter or margerine (couple o tablespoons)
vanilla (about a teaspoon)
food coloring (3 or 4 drops)
No comments:
Post a Comment