Monday, January 4, 2010

Trouble With Tribbles

Meet Lilly (look at that guilty little face):

10:00 a.m. Jer and I listed the baby gerbils on KSL. We were being a little sneaky about the whole thing because the kids have been whining about keeping them since Thanksgiving. But, they are officially off the boob and ready to move out on their own.
2:30 p.m. We received an email from a lady in West Jordan asking for just two of the four. I will definitely be contacting her. I love these little things and it is easy to get attached. But, this little family can't have 7 gerbils in one cage. Something has to change.

10:30 p.m. Josh is laying in his bed reading a book and hears some serious squeaking in the cage. This is pretty normal having that many little animals in the room with you. But, as he listened, he realized these little squeaks were not 6 week old squeaks. So, he decides to check on them to find out what all the ruckus is about. Hmmm... could it be another litter?

10:45 p.m. I ran to WinCo to buy bedding, a water bottle and food. Fortunately, we have our old cage (a smaller one) that we kept out in the garage.

11:00 pm. We moved the four boys (from the first litter) to the small cage. Molly (the one female from litter A) gets to stay with mom and dad because the boys have been bullying her. We did a head count and it looks like there are four new little additions. Between Josh and Jer and I, we figure they were born last night. They are smaller than litter A when we found them. And, when I went downstairs this morning at 7:30 to get Josh up, I heard the newborn squeaks but couldn't find them.

So here's the deal - gerbils have got to go. The kids are really fighting Jer and I on this one. They are great pets to have - super clean, super easy, super entertaining. . . and apparently super fertile. If you are interested in taking a couple off our hands, please let me know. We have the four boys from litter A that are ready to go. Litter B won't be off the boob for about six weeks. Zac and Lilly will be separated. Can you have your gerbils spayed or neutered? I still can't figure out why we had them for a year before they figured out the birds and the bees.
I think we will be moving on to this:

Emma got this from Santa this year. My favorite part: "Watch 'em grow then let 'em GO!" Now if we can just convince the kids to go by this with the gerbils.

7 comments:

Chad said...

Just find someone with a pet snake.

Hernandez Family said...

Oh my gosh! More babies! We may be interested in litter B. Aleecia wants a pet and we have made a deal with her that she can have one if she shows us she is responsible by taking care of her toys.

The Royals said...

We had the same problem with our hamsters. Just hope for more girls. People don't seem to want the boys. And keep the boys and girls apart!

Hendricksonblog said...

How exactly are baby gerbils made?

Lisa said...

we as humans sure keep our kids around for a long time. and for the love of that poor mama having babies every 28 days give them the "tv" back. see if it calms daddy down a bit.

cheers for chocolate said...

you have more grandkids than we do...Dad says to quit giving Zach viagra!!!

Ashley said...

I miss a LOT of things when I don't read your blog

FIFTEEN Years

Independence Day 2008

Disneyland Vacation 2008

California Adventures

Sea World

Breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen

Newport Beach and The Crab Cooker