Since my little camera took a swim in the creek, I took pictures with my phone. I do wish I had taken my Nikon, but I have a hard time lugging it around along with all the other crap I have to take to games (chairs, sunblock, water, snacks, umbrellas....).
We finally made it over the hump this tournament and played in the championships. We killed another USA team in the semi-finals and advanced to the end. Our first few games were close. We tied our first game 1-1 and ended up playing that same team for first place. They won in the end by one stinking point. It was tied 3-3 and I thought it was going to go to extra time, but the one good player they had on their team scored in the last 30 seconds. I actually think the time was up 3-4 minutes earlier but the ref hadn't called the game. I think he was just going to let the game go until someone scored again so that we didn't have to play all day. It was 100 degrees and the kids had already played that morning so I don't blame him.
In one of the games, Josh did one of his awesome slide tackles (the legal kind) and ripped his knee up. He was pretty annoyed that the ref made him leave the field to get it cleaned up. He didn't understand why blood is such a big deal. So after some explaining and waiting for the the medic team to clean him up, he went back in but just in time for the whistle to blow and the game to be over. His coach kept asking if he was done and ready to go back in and Josh was freaking out about it taking too long to get cleaned up, but rules is rules. He called his dad after the game and told him he missed the whole second half. It was more like 6-7 minutes, but it felt like forever.
So here they are after getting their awards. It was great for the boys to finally get a medal. I think they were all a little mixed up inside - happy to be there, but bummed about second place. Not much you can do though when the other team has a 17 year old scoring all the goals for them.
It was a great way to end a summer packed with tournaments. This was our fifth tourney since June and the difference in our team is pretty remarkable. Our season starts next week and they are all excited to get started.
Yesterday Josh stayed home from school with a stomach bug. He was beside himself when he found out that I emailed his coach and told him he wouldn't be at soccer last night. Isn't that mean? He seriously was lost last night when he started to feel better and couldn't go to practice. The kid can't breath without a ball at his feet.




1 comment:
Glad they at least got a medal. Its a rough yr when losing happens too often.
Tell Josh thanks a lot, now I have that stupid stomach bug. I'm sure I got it from him way over there on the porch last night.
Post a Comment