Monday, January 30, 2012

My hatred for Science Fair Projects

I can't help it. I hate the science fair. As much as I hate Reflections projects. Emma did hers 99% on her own this year because it makes me ornery to do it/help (I took the pics). Teachers require students to participate, but the whole thing is rigged (just like Reflections) and if your mom isn't on the committee, you just get a ribbon for participating. Emma did five different experiments, took notes and pictures along the way, typed up her hypothesis (and all the other crap that's required) and made this cute display with the Cricut. She did get an interview and made it in the top 10 in fifth grade - and she was thrilled. I'm proud of her for putting so much effort into it and for doing such a great job. Booo! to all the kids that made cookies using different fats. We all know your mom made them.
Lynsee and I have been trying to find a way for Err and Bryn to play together more, but it's hard with Err being in school every day till 4 o'clock. We caved and decided to hit Kangaroo Zoo on a Saturday. It was busy, as to be expected, but they had so much fun. Emma had Riley come so that she would have a friend her age there. Riley thought we were actually going to see kangaroos at the zoo. Too funny.
Bryn kept sitting at the top of this slide and bouncing. She took another 2 year old out after he tried to push her down a few times. My kind of girl.
Emma had to take a minute to hold Mason after he woke up. He actually slept for almost two hours in his stroller. He must be a growing boy (ha ha).
Both Erin and Bryn were a little slide shy at first, but after an hour of going with the big girls they were warmed up.
The jump house collapsed a couple of times. Scary, but funny. Devin and I were standing back watching the first time - laughing at the chance that Lynsee might be in there. Sure enough, Emma, Riley and Bryn were in there when it went down so Lyns went in to save them.

Josh went a whole 7 days without crutches and then re-injured his hip. It's not easy  to get out of participating in Jr. High P.E. so after doing stairs, laps, sit ups, push ups, pull ups and then sprints- the hip "popped" again. He didn't have P.E. last semester so I hadn't given it much thought (as far as having him excused by the dr.).  This time we didn't waist any time and started physical therapy right away. Apparently, there is more than just a pulled/strained sartorious muscle (as originally diagnosed). If that is all that happened, he would be back to playing and in no pain. Unfortunately, he is still in a lot of pain and the physical therapist is not sure he can rule out a tear of some sort (possibly the labrum). Tomorrow we will find out if an MRI is necessary. In the meantime, he has missed a whole session of futsal and won't be able to play in the President's Cup in St. George. Poor kid. We found out (though all of his visits to the doc) that he has grown 2.5 inches since the middle of December. Dude. In order to keep his sanity, he is taking a reffing course to become certified so that he can ref games this summer. That will at least give him something to do (besides read Sherlock Holmes for honors english) until he is back to playing.

On a side note, this week is my last week as an AVID Tutor. I am transferring to Matheson Jr. High. I will be working with the Special Ed. department as a tracker and also doing some medical assisting. I'm super excited to be so close to home (sorry Cottonwood) and to double my hours. And, the principal at Matheson is great. I'm so excited to work with such a fun group of people. I will always be a supporter of the AVID Program and am sad about leaving it - all except for the part where I have to travel from school to school.

So there is our boring month all in one post.

6 comments:

Hendricksonblog said...

I like that principal too and I am glad to hear that you will be so close, that is awesome!
You working all day every day now?
Is medical assisting a nice way of saying wiping bums? I hope not for your sake.
Good job Emma doing your project mainly by yourself, I agree that is rare!
I went to Kangaroo zoo once and I fell off the back of one of those slides. I was pretty pregnant at the time but it was pretty funny. I was just glad the steps are at the back so no one saw me.

Chad said...

I watched 13 minutes of soccer the other day and thought of you all. I don't get it.

I share your loathing of reflections, science, and all the other projects from school, except I want to be the judge now if the moms are making cookies. I can be bribed for sure.

April... Yes medical assisting is a fancy way to say butt wiper.

Chad said...

PS where is Kangaroo Zoo? I thought it was a zoo of kangaroos too, but it looks fun now.

Aimee said...

The medical assisting is so NOT butt wiping. You could not pay me enough to do that - especially jr. high kids. Oh gosh. It's actually assisting with diabetic students.

Hendricksonblog said...

Stabbing them w/needles. I could get used to that.

Chad said...

Diabetic kids poo themselves all the time. Have fun with that.

FIFTEEN Years

Independence Day 2008

Disneyland Vacation 2008

California Adventures

Sea World

Breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen

Newport Beach and The Crab Cooker