
I don't know how well you can see these receipts and there was no way I could show the whole 25 feet of them, but hopefully you get the point.
Coupon shopping has become a "hobby" of mine. I never thought I could learn how people would get $100 worth of grocery's for next to nothing. And, I especially never thought I would have the patience for it. But, after attending a Grocery Smarts class and several months of practice, I think I might be getting the hang of it.
Last week, I sent Jer with my list and a stack of coupons. He went and did our "normal" shopping with what I had given him. Albertson's had a deal going. For every $30 you spent on "participating items" you got $15 off your next visit. And, throughout the month of October, for every $250 spent, you got a 5% off coupon to use in November. So, with that said, yesterday's shopping experience was insane!
At Albertson's I got the following:
2 bags of Nestle Chocolate Chips
1 box of Albertson's real butter
6 jars of Skippy peanut butter
1 bottle Apple Juice
1 Danon Frusion Smoothy
4 pacs TicTacs
total before tax and coupons: $38.34
total after preferred savings card: $24.85
total after tax, ps, and coupons: $ 1.43 (this is what I actually paid!)
At Smith's I got the following:
1 Betty Crocker Cake Mix
1 box GM Fiber One Cereal
4 cans Carnation Evaporated Milk
6 cans Eagle Sweetened Condensed Milk
24 pack of Arrowhead water bottles
1 box Eggo Waffles
total before tax and coupons: $30.98
total after fresh values card: $28.46
total after tax, fv, and coupons: $8.48 (this is what I actually paid!)
So, between the two stores, my total savings was: $59.41 (86%). Keep in mind, this was a shopping trip specifically for "stock up items." I wouldn't normally go buy 6 jars of peanut butter. But, by combining sales prices with coupons, it is a great chance to build up your food storage. I am super excited about how our food storage is coming along. I started saving coupons in April, and it is starting to really pay off.
If you are wanting to learn how to save and stock up at the same time, I will be having Katie come teach the class this month. In the meantime, check out http://www.grocerysmarts.com/. The passport is: g84ckp. Some people are familiar with Pinching your pennies. Grocery Smarts is very similar and in fact, has a link now to Pinching your pennies.
Anywho- if this was completely boring for you, I apologize. But, I get excited every time I have a trip to the store like this. We are finally "shopping" from our storage rather than running to the store every time we run out of something!
3 comments:
Yes it is great but for everyone who decides to start doing this, please be fair to us with new babies and dont go so damn early in the morning and hog of the not so well stocked items. This month was great for stock up.
Thanks Erin for tending Neve last night. I think she loves you already
April
I love it how you say you have become the bargain shopper, yet you send Jeremy to the store with the stack of coupons and make him look like the trailer trash! Hilarious. I would never allow Rebecca to send me to the store with the pile of coupons for the checker to scan. I would rather pay the extra 20 bucks.
I tried the code, but it brought up Utah stores. Do you know how I'd get a code for my local stores?
Chad-Jeremy had the easy job. Aimee did all the leg work. In the end, they saved THEIR money together. Maybe this would be a good topic for Chad and Rebecca's first "He Said-She Said" column???
Post a Comment