Sunday, January 25, 2009

Yes, these are all HOMEMADE!


Breaded Shrimp over a rice/edamame salad.

The kids favorite. Burrito Bowls. (Fill the bowl with rice and beans. Add meat of your choice - chicken, pork, carne asada. Then, top with all the stuff you love in a burrito: cheese, sour cream, salsa, tomatoes, onion, cilantro, avacado. To cheat: go to Cafe Rio and buy just the meat, beans and rice to go. Then you have extra yummies at the bottom).

My favorite. Sabayon Dessert. Haagen Daz vanilla bean ice cream topped with Sabayon Sauce and fresh berries. (This recipe stolen from Market Street)

If you know Jer at all, you know he has a love for the finer things in life (especially when it comes to food). I have always told him that he has champagne taste on a beer budget. And, he has done a great job of rubbing that off on our kids. Their favorite place to eat out is Tepanyaki. It's not exactly the nicest place in town, but it's not cheap for a family of five either.


Last weekend, Josh had an experience that, hopefully, he will never forget. He went to St. George with my parents to visit my grandma. And, with no hesitation, he offered to cook something up for the four of them. He worked up a recipe for chili on the way down and then with the ingredients in Grandma Helen's kitchen, made one hot bowl of chili! He loves to be in the kitchen and he is good at it.



As I was going through all of my pictures from last year, I came across so many of food. As strange as that seems, I am impressed (often) with Jer's cooking. His presentation is usually what makes me reach for the camera, but everything is always tasty! Josh has definitely learned from the best. He has spent many hours in the kitchen with his dad (and now with his great grandma) learning and experimenting.

Several years ago, Jer and I were in Park City for our Anniversary. I had a soup that was amazing! I told him that it was so yummy it was like it was "doing a dance in my mouth." So, in no time at all, Jer had figured out all the ingredients of the soup. He went home and made it exactly like the one in Park City. From there, he has continued to perfect his taste for different herbs and spices. He seriously can figure out how to make anything. He tries it once and goes home and makes it. This year on New Year's Day, he made his first attempt at Pho (Vietnamese noodle soup). We had my parents and my sister over to try it out. Wow! It was so good. Erin kept saying how great it is that we can eat Pho at home now! It was an all day process so we probably won't be doing that often, but now we know it can be done.



One of Jer's favorite things to do is get up early on a Saturday morning and head to the Farmer's Market. It's so hard for him when it's not going because he actually makes a habit out of going all summer long. He commented today, in fact, that all you need is $40 or $50 and a morning at the Farmer's Market. He loves to pick out fresh everything there and then go home and make an entire meal out of what he got at the Farmer's Market that morning. We have had some serious meals!


I'm most definitely looking forward to next Sunday (Superbowl Sunday). As long as we have been married, we have had a big Superbowl party with the Johnson boys. Jer always has a new something or other that he takes for everyone to try. Last year he did stuffed strawberries! I wish I had a picture. They were stuffed with cheesecake and dipped in chocolate. I love that my hubby cooks! I really really do.

P.S. I forgot to mention his ribs. Oh baby! And he bottles his own bbq sauce. MmmMmm!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay, I would weigh 200 pounds if I had a hubby who cooked like that! I think you should start a couples dinner group...we want to be the 1st to come try this great food!:)

PS Sorry we never connected about Thai...now that I have your number we'll call next time we go!

Brian said...

So Brian and I each wish that we married someone who cooks. No one cooks around here much. We want Jer to figure out how to make the Training Table BBQ Sauce. It is our favorite, yet we can't get it right. Or maybe his is better?!

Hendricksonblog said...

Whats wrong with 200 pounds?
I wont tell Nellie he knows how to make pho because she loves that stuff. I ruined mine the first time by adding too much soy sauce. Not a fan of asian cuisine though.

Julia said...

Jealous.

kath said...

did i ever tell you that when we took Jeremiah out to dinner he would sit at the table with the menu and immediately go to the side with the most expensive dishes?? He never made it to the "reasonable " side of the menu!! His taste has always been over the top. But ya gotta love his cooking. Why don't we do the burrito bowls for superbowl dinner. Sounds good to me.

cheers for chocolate said...

Okay, I've had pho and Josh's chili but never had the other stuff...why are the J's so special? By the way...these dots are called elipes (sp?)...and I use them all the time...esp. when it's late and I'm starved after looking at all that great phood!

The Royals said...

I would love having a hubby who loved to cook that much. He is getting so much better since I started working.

Anonymous said...

you should have Jeremy start a food blog.

FIFTEEN Years

Independence Day 2008

Disneyland Vacation 2008

California Adventures

Sea World

Breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen

Newport Beach and The Crab Cooker