Tuesday, September 15, 2009

My little man isn't little anymore

Eleven years ago today, I was full of every emotion possible. I was about to give birth to my first child, Joshua William Johnson. He was born at 8:30p.m. at LDS Hospital and was not only our first child, but he was also the first grandchild on both sides. There were a lot of people hanging out at the hospital that day with much anticipation. I still remember that day like it was yesterday. Here it is, eleven years later, and I couldn't be happier with my Josh. So many people kept telling me to enjoy him while he was little because it doesn't last long enough. I appreciate those words of advise - it has gone by way to fast.

This is Jeremiah and Joshua on September 19, 1998 - just four days old. My brother, Paul, married his sweetheart, Alisha, just a few days after Josh was born. He was kissed by so many people this day.


Josh and I have been best friends since day 1. He was such a cuddly baby. I remember loving him more than I could have ever imagined. Besides his Dad, he was the best thing to happen to me. I loved being pregnant with him. I loved all of his "firsts." I love that every day he would tell me "love you SO much."

This picture was taken on his first birthday at the Kiddie Kandids at Cottonwood Mall. They used this picture for their store. It was blown up to poster size and stayed on the wall there for five or six years - maybe longer. Now when we drive passed the "hole" where Cottonwood Mall used to be, we remember going there on a regular basis just to check on his picture. Jer used to call him his little bowling ball baby. His head was so round, you could bowl with it.
This is at age 2. Even then he could be found with a soccer ball in hand.
May 11, 2001. This was the day Cari was married at the Bountiful Temple. I absolutely love this picture of Josh. He is my little man. He has always been full of questions - wanting answers. My dad was kneeling in front of him talking about the Temple. He is such a smart kid.
When Emma was a baby, Josh started to worry me. He was bouncing off the walls - more than a typical 3 year old. When I took him to see the Doctor, she advised me to sign him up for preschool. She thought maybe he was too smart for his own good. He needed structure and, more than anything, to be challenged. So, we took him to Challenger School for preschool. It was expensive and time consuming, but so worth it. There's not a thing wrong with this kid! He's just too smart for his own britches!
Kindergarten at Magna Elementary. His teacher was Mrs. Russell (the same Kindergarten teacher his uncle Trevor had).
This is back when I was actually one of those moms that takes their kids in to be photographed for every occasion. This was Christmas 2003.

First Grade at Magna Elementary.
This is the only toothless picture I could find of him. He was so cute without his two front teeth!
Easter 2006.
Second Grade at Magna Elementary.
Third Grade at Magna Elementary. This was the year we found out he gets his eyes from his dad. He started wearing glasses this year.
Fourth Grade at Gearld Wright Elementary. Look how quickly he grew up. He is such a handsome kid (ask any grandma at any grocery store).
August 2008 at Temple Square
And this is last year, fourth grade with his favorite pair of glasses. Today they had school pictures taken and I wish I had it already to add to this post.
Now that I have had a lump in my throat for the last hour - I just want to tell Josh how much I love him. Thanks for being my buddy 365 days a year for the last eleven. You are always the first to try and make me smile when I am having a bad day. I love that you are so ambitious. I've never met a kid with such goals and dreams as yours. There is no doubt in my mind that you will achieve everything you put your mind to. You are smart, athletic, compassionate and the best big brother any girl could ask for. Nothing compares to the smile on your face - it's so contagious. Thanks for being the kid you are. I love you! Happy Birthday!!
p.s. I hope I embarrassed you! I know you hate to be in the spotlight and you hate it when I am cheesy about you, but it's your birthday!!

6 comments:

Chad said...

Jeremy looks about 10 years younger in that picture. Wow.

Steph said...

I love it!! Happy birthday Josh..We love you!!

Hendricksonblog said...

I am coming over to give him big kiss and a hug to add to his humiliation

cheers for chocolate said...

Sure Aim, now my eyes are wet! If tjomgs are ,ospelled its iour valt!

Stephanie said...

What a very sweet post. He was a darling baby, and is a handsome young man. I find each birthday for my kids is an 'anniversary' of sorts for me. I can't help but go back to the day and the feelings and the memories. Do you think a Mom does that her whole life? I think so.

Simply Tickled Pink and Blue said...

Oh my gosh!! Thanks for reminding us all how quickly we are all aging too. I feel like I was just married a couple of years ago when he was born. Man it's been 11, crap time flies!

FIFTEEN Years

Independence Day 2008

Disneyland Vacation 2008

California Adventures

Sea World

Breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen

Newport Beach and The Crab Cooker