Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Shut Out


Last night was Josh's first game of the season. It was, by far, the most entertaining game they have ever played. They have improved so much over the last year! It's so fun watching them actually play the game rather than watching a bunch of little boys run around and pretend like they know what they are doing. They are playing positions, they are scoring goals, they are passing, they are working together as a team, they are listening to the coaches, and they are learning quickly what it feels like to be on a winning team!

Before the game started last night, coach told the team that before the season is over, he wanted to have a shut out (meaning not one goal is made by the other team). They did it last night! Now what? That was their first game. :) Josh is back in the box playing keeper (his choice of positions). I don't think his coach realized how much talent he has when he is in the box because he has always been the "back up keeper." Josh decided he wanted to show everyone how much he loves that position - and he did - with a shut out! He stopped every single ball that came his way. There were four or five shots that he stopped that looked like there was no way he could. The crowd was screaming for him! I think it pumped him up more for the next one every time he heard all the parents yelling his name! "Nice save, Josh!" I love that kid! I love that smile he gets on his face when he is the star of the game. He is shy, yet loving the attention!

If you love watching a good soccer game, you have to come see this little team play. Don't bother bringing a chair, because you won't be able to sit the whole time! I posted the new schedule on the right (addresses are at the top).

3 comments:

The Sumsions said...

VERY Cool!!! I'm glad he likes soccer :) Bailee just started last week and she really likes it. She's at a disadvantage because it's her first year. I think we need Josh to show her how to be aggressive. That's really cool that he gets to play the position he wants, and it's really fun when kids start actually playing sports, and not just running around in circles!! Good Job Josh! I would have been standing and yelling for you too - that's the kind of spectator I am :)

Hendricksonblog said...

i would quietly watch.....its what I do. i would be bugged if the people in front of me were standing up too, especially if their butts were in my face or if they were drunk and dancing......oh wait I love that!!!

Chad said...

I read this entire post, twice. But I didn't look at the pictures.

Congrats though. I have never understood soccer, but I am kind of getting sucked into the bandwagon a little watching the US team do so well.

I played soccer back when everyone was the same height and speed. I loved playing defender because I would just kick the ball as hard as I could the other way when it came my way.

FIFTEEN Years

Independence Day 2008

Disneyland Vacation 2008

California Adventures

Sea World

Breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen

Newport Beach and The Crab Cooker