For those who haven't heard, we are moving from our current residency. We've been here for two years and I guess that's long enough. We're ready to box everything up and haul it all down the street. Actually, I hate moving. Well, not really "hate." I like moving. I just don't like the actual act of moving. I get all giddy about the idea of having a fresh start. I love taking all my decorations and giving them a new look in a new home. I love that every time you move, you get rid of all your unwanted goods (like all that stuff that's still in the garage in a box from the last move - obviously not needed). I love the idea of having 4 bedrooms instead of 3. And, 3 and 1/2 bathrooms instead of 2 and 1/2. I'm also very excited to be in a more permanent place. As much as I have found all the good that comes from uprooting, I am very excited to (hopefully) be done with bouncing.
Jer and I had a home in Magna in the ward he grew up in. We lived there for 7 awesome years. We really never thought we would leave that neighborhood. After lots of prayers and sleepless nights, we decided to put our house up for sale and pay off all of our debt. This was in 2007 so the economy was very different from what it is today. We had one open house and within hours we had three offers. So, needless to say, our home sold almost too fast. Fortunately, my parents were gracious enough to let us camp out in their basement until we found something. I'm so grateful for those few months we had there. It seemed crazy at the time, but so many things worked out so well that I can't imagine it any other way. Jer was traveling for work a lot so this way I wasn't home alone. And, one week while Jer was in Denver, I had the flu and didn't even leave my bedroom for two days. I thought I had died. Thank heaven for my mom. Not only did I not have to worry about my kids, but I knew they were loving their time with Grandma. I will be forever grateful for those few months in the basement.
After four months, we were ready to be done looking at homes. We were spending every minute we had searching for a home. We had Alisha (my sis-in-law that is a Real Estate Agent) taking us to look at homes so much I think she tried to fire us. One night she took us to nine homes. Sorry, Leesh. In the end, we decided to rent a home. Sorry again, Leesh. This was supposed to be a temporary roof over our heads until we found exactly what we were looking for. This brings us to today- two years later. Not as temporary as anticipated. But, someone forgot to tell us that you can't keep moving your kids like this. They don't appreciate it. In fact, they start to have a lot of anxiety. They decide to stop going to school and to sleep in your bed instead of their own.
Fortunately, we recently found a home to land in long term. We will be in the same Ward and in the same school zone. No change for the kids other than the scenery. We have drug our kids through a few rough years of change and adjustments. But, hopefully this will be it. As crazy as this little venture has been, we know it has been the right thing to do. We have been blessed all along the way. It seemed insane to be paying rent again when we decided to live in this home, but it has been so perfect in so many ways. While the economy has been killing a lot of people, we have benefited from the change. Our kids have been overwhelmed with new friends and great teachers. We live in a great Ward and a great neighborhood and we are super excited to stick around for a while!
So, if you read this entire post, I already know you are one of those great friends. Most people probably don't care to know so much detail about us, but I thought I would let our loved ones (and the other two readers of my blog) in on our little family secret: we're moving this week.
This is what my living room looked like before:
This is what it looks like now: :( so sad.
14 comments:
Im going to miss you guys being to the west of us. Makes me almost shed a tear. Now we are in the West side slums while your movin' on Up. I'm so glad you decided to stay and I bet your families aren't too sad you didnt move far. There's so much to be said for living close to those who love you no matter what. Thanks for helping to make this October a hilarious one for me. I needed it. Call me if you want any help.....Im pretty strong!!!
my word verification is tupents...funny
I am so glad to see you stay!! We will help you move too let us know. So exciting.
When I first read that you were moving I wanted to scream! Everyone is moving. But, then I read that you were going to stay in the ward and I was relieved. I am so glad you are staying close!
I read the entire post.
I like moving too because I get to throw stuff away. We are stuck in our house forever though because of the economy...don't worry we are doing fine, but our plan was to upgrade about now... I just don't think we could sale.
moving sucks anytime....good luck.
How fun Aimee! Good luck with the move, it sounds like you guys did it right! Congratulations on the new home!
Moving is fun the first couple of times. Then it's crap. When we spoke last it sounded like you were staying there for a while, so it sounds like things really worked out. The crappy economy worked out well for us too for most of the same reasons. Good luck in your new place.
One thing I've learned, even if you have 3 1/2 baths, all the kids will still use your bathroom, even if their bathroom is downstairs within feet of their bedroom, has an oversized tub and double vanity and you let them do the redecorating. However, it's nice if you all have to pee at the same time.
I also read the whole post! I think you have a lot more than 2 readers. I hate moving, and moving with kids and all their crap is even worse. If I ever need to move I'm calling you to help me pack!! You're living room full of boxes looked all nicely organized. :)
Oh and April I think we're technically west of you so you haven't reached the complete slums yet.
I was going to comment on something specific...but now I can't remember what it was...help, I've fallen and I can't get up!
I REMEMBERED! Do you remember when we were going to move to Layton you did NOT want to live in a house that someone else had lived in!?! Go figure
Oh my gosh, Mom! I do remember that! That's so funny. Now I just use a whole lot of clorox wipes. I figure you can disinfect anything. And, hey, if it's newer than 50 years, I'm good (given that our first house had that many years worth of people living in it before us).
I LOVE Clorox wipes, how did I ever clean without them? You are the MOST ORGANIZED packer I know! Your packed up living room looks different, but still great!
I'm excited and happy for your move!:) Everything has worked out so well for everyone!!
I know at first you were concerned, but don't worry. Despite the rumors we are not moving because of the blog.:)
I also read the whole post. I'm excited for you guys and the new house. I hope the move goes smoothly. Wish I were there to help.
Post a Comment