As I posted previously, our Thanksgiving Day started out a little different than most. We discovered our own Trouble with Tribbles (the gerbils are multiplying). After taking care of our new babies and packing for St. George, we went to Ben and Stephs for our Turkey feast. Super yummy (despite all the cream cheese Ben put in the mashed potatoes - who does that?) and fun to see the kids all together.
Grandma J. must've really wanted to get out of doing the dishes because she decided to take all the hooligans for a walk after we ate. Crazy lady. She did make it back alive and after waiting for the straggler (Collin) our head count was 100%.
This is all but one (she was cranky after the walk) when they made it home. Made me laugh that when Kath walked up with all the grandkids, it was my Erin that was riding in the wagon. Lazy poop. There are five grandkids (minus the new babies) that are younger than her and they were walking along side her cozy little butt.
By about 4pm, we were on the road headed South. Josh played in the Dixie Cup again this year so we needed to be down there for his first game the next morning. We decided to stay with Grandma this year (my Grandma Helen) since last years Condo rental was such a dive and we thought it would give her a reason to cook (and actually eat something). But, she ended up in Idaho for the holiday so we were there without her. I was surprised that the girls remembered last years visit to vividly. We had gone to visit Grandpa Bob in the care center and he was out cold. We tried to wake him up but he was too deep. Sadly, that was our last visit with him before he passed away about 3 weeks later. So this year was most definitely different in that sense -no Grandparents to bug. The funny thing about this picture of Emma and Erin on the couch is that it actually reminded me of my other Grandparents (my mom's parents). Cari and I used to sit on the couch at Grandpa Rowe's and use a t.v. tray to color. I wish I could get my hands on some of those old t.v. trays for me own use. Love those things.
We had planned on eating at In N Out Thanksgiving night, but got down there and the darn place was closed. Last year they were the only place open, so we thought we knew what we were doing and went fully prepared to wait in line. Unfortunately, it was Del Taco that got our business.
Friday morning, Josh's first game wasn't until noon, but we had to be there at 10 for warm ups. How warm do these boys need to be? So, given we had a couple of hours to spare, the girls and I went on a walk to find the coolest playground. As much as the girls love St. George and the excitement of driving down over Thanksgiving break each year, I wonder if they are disappointed once we arrive. We really have time for nothing more than soccer. The playground is a good way to entertain them during the "warm up" times.

We hit the jackpot with this playground! Is it just me or does it seem like all soccer complexes are in neighborhoods with million dollar homes and those are the parks with the killer playgrounds?? Not like anyone is driving across the state to play soccer in Magna over the holiday. And heaven forbid any park on the West side of town get a splash pad that we don't have to pay to use. This playground not only had a splash pad, it had a "junior" and a "senior" area. Erin didn't want to leave the "junior" area due to the mini monkey bars.

Finally, soccer. This is the boys lining up before the game to have their player cards read off. I love that soccer is so organized and official.

This is my kicker. Not only does Josh do one he** of a job stopping the ball, he has a mean kick on him. The kid can boot that ball clear down the field. We had a coach from Las Vegas approach us about his future with soccer. Josh was very flattered and realized he is getting noticed (thus, the title of my post). My hope is that he will continue kicking the ball like that so that one day he can be the kicker for the BYU football team. The boy would die at the thought of that. I would die at the thought of a scholarship.

He had so many saves over the weekend. He took a couple of hard hits. One to the face. Fortunately, it was during team warm ups and I was over at the playground. He put his teeth through both lips and bent his glasses. Another mom had wipes and an ice pack so by the time I got there, all I saw was the fat lip. And, me being the awesome mom that I am, decided to chest the ball to him after his last game that night. My way of saying "good job." Well, yah, it hit him in the face. This time giving him a bloody nose. He started to cry and then when he realized what happened started laughing. I wish I had a picture of that face. Blood and tears with a smile. Jer kept saying "he's going to feel like a truck hit him when he wakes up tomorrow morning." Oh was he right. Poor kid. Couldn't even walk and he had to go play again the next day. Chalk one up for Mom of the Year again!

Finally, soccer. This is the boys lining up before the game to have their player cards read off. I love that soccer is so organized and official.
This is my kicker. Not only does Josh do one he** of a job stopping the ball, he has a mean kick on him. The kid can boot that ball clear down the field. We had a coach from Las Vegas approach us about his future with soccer. Josh was very flattered and realized he is getting noticed (thus, the title of my post). My hope is that he will continue kicking the ball like that so that one day he can be the kicker for the BYU football team. The boy would die at the thought of that. I would die at the thought of a scholarship.
He had so many saves over the weekend. He took a couple of hard hits. One to the face. Fortunately, it was during team warm ups and I was over at the playground. He put his teeth through both lips and bent his glasses. Another mom had wipes and an ice pack so by the time I got there, all I saw was the fat lip. And, me being the awesome mom that I am, decided to chest the ball to him after his last game that night. My way of saying "good job." Well, yah, it hit him in the face. This time giving him a bloody nose. He started to cry and then when he realized what happened started laughing. I wish I had a picture of that face. Blood and tears with a smile. Jer kept saying "he's going to feel like a truck hit him when he wakes up tomorrow morning." Oh was he right. Poor kid. Couldn't even walk and he had to go play again the next day. Chalk one up for Mom of the Year again!
Below is a picture of him stopping his first Penalty Kick. Talk about pressure. I love it 'cause when he stops the ball and all eye's are on him, I can say "that's my boy." Such a proud moment for the mom.

We literally were at the soccer fields from sun up till sun down.

We literally were at the soccer fields from sun up till sun down.
One thing that will be hard if Josh ever leaves this team is the awesome friends we've all made. These are the girls that hang out together. Bless their hearts, they've been trying to teach Emma how to do a cartwheel since we met. She still can't do one to save her life. I keep telling her it's Cari's fault. Cari always looked like a tard when she did cartwheels, too.

One more reason to love St. George - a sit down Pizza Hut with a salad bar. Even though Josh hates getting his picture taken, he does it for me. Man I love that kid.
All in all, it was a great weekend! It went by super fast and we didn't have much time for anything but soccer, but who's complaining? By the end of the tourny, the kids were anxious to come home to the baby gerbils and I was a little anxious to get home to finish painting the living room. Then on to decking the halls. . .
3 comments:
I am glad I read through it all because for some reason the line, "Cari is a tard" made me laugh and will stick with me for a while!
Great blog...I want a book, too
my word is FLUTS
Wow! I didn't know you had baby gerbals! Neato gang. Looks like st george was fun. Too bad grandma wasn't around.:( Maybe next time.
Post a Comment