Monday, November 14, 2011

Let's Do the Time Warp Again

I thought since next week is Thanksgiving (already) I should blog about our Halloween festivities. Halloween seemed to go on for the entire month and it felt like November was never going to get here. I have always been a big fan of Halloween, but I think after this year, I might change my mind. When I'm doing adult type Halloween stuff, it's awesome. But, the part where you have to find the right costume for your kids and go to trunk-or-treats and school parties... not my favorite. Mostly because Erin and Emma couldn't figure out what to be and it changed every day. There were way too many tears shed over such a stupid thing. Erin went from witch to pirate to rubik's cube to skeleton. Emma went from rubik's cube to scarey clown to zombie doctor and ended up just a boring ole doctor. Josh, surprisingly, was the least difficult. He had to be a pumpkin head for the combined activity and then for his last year of trick-or-treating he was a soccer goalie (ironic). I was actually excited that Logan decided to humor me and wear the rubik's cube I made. Someone had to wear it.

We had lots of fun with the Johnson cousins at our annual Halloween Party at Trevor and Jenns. We got started a little late (due to deer hunters and car battery killers), but it was worth waiting. The kids had so much fun. We don't get together with everyone often enough. Trevor and Jenn made a delicious dinner for everyone - Trevor stood and made scones for navajo tacos and holy cow it was yummy. The kids did crafts, ate lots and played musical chairs and soccer. So fun.

 I never did get a picture of all the kids in costumes. It got dark and costumes didn't last.

Another fun party that is quickly becoming tradition is Ashley's party. She is a big time lover of the holiday and so super talented and we all get to reap the benefits. Last year she did her pirate theme. This year it was a Masquerade theme and made for some great pictures. It was hard to choose which ones to include. Notice her amazing treats and decorations....

In the bottom right hand corner of the above pic you will see the "old" Young Women leaders. Love them all and I'm not done crying about being released. The freak in the back with the black wig is who is taking over. She seems a little off, but I promise she is going to do an amazing job and I don't worry for one second about all the little "dirt bags" that I'm leaving in her care.

And, for our combined activity in October, we did a murder mystery party. It was a lot of work, but oh so worth it. The leaders did an awesome job with decorations, dinner and games. The youth were so much fun! They actually came dressed as their assigned character and played the part all night. We have some awesome little actors in our ward. Again, there were so many great pictures from this night, I had to choose only a handful to include.

Since Ashley outdid herself with the decorations, she earned herself the job of decorating for the ward Christmas dinner. He he. I made the brownies and boy were they a project. I have no idea how they tasted 'cause I didn't get one, but at least they turned out cute.
 

I didn't get any pictures of the parade at school or the kids on Halloween. I know - sometimes I am a better Young Woman leader than a mom. But, I hear being a Ward Missionary allows one to spend more time with the family. So, I will do my best. I might have a picture of Erin in her skeleton costume on my phone. I need to look - she was perty cute. And there is our Halloween in a nutshell.

Disclosure:  I'm really not bitter about being released. Change is always good for everyone. I'm just sad. I'm sure many of you can relate to that empty feeling after being released from a calling you have been so involved with and loved. I felt a similar emptiness after being released from the RS Presidency years ago so at least I know it won't last forever. I am grateful beyond words for the opportunity I had to serve with such amazing women. And, I feel like a proud mom every time I see one of "my girls." It's hard not to love the snot out of them. They are all such amazing people and I hope that if nothing else, after being their leader, they know that I love them and so does Heavenly Father. Now, go get your Personal Progress done (not you, Carly).. and no boob hugging!

3 comments:

Hendricksonblog said...

Dont even know what to say. I feel worn out reading that post because I feel like I was there, oh wait, I was for most of it. Next year the adults need to take back October. I'll try to make that happen.
I am also very sad to lose you but I suppose I can still talk to you whenever I want and you will have to let me know what is going on in all the girls lives since they will probably still call you anyway.

Ross family said...

I Love your cute blog. Your family is so adorable! Thanks for sharing :)

Chad said...

It's okay to be bitter. I am still mad that they released me from Scouts and that was 3 years ago now. I do not enjoy EQ as much as I did scouts. I love Halloween.

FIFTEEN Years

Independence Day 2008

Disneyland Vacation 2008

California Adventures

Sea World

Breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen

Newport Beach and The Crab Cooker