For as long as I can remember, I have spent Pioneer Day in Spanish Fork. While there are some things that have changed (main street), the tradition and the people are the same. My mom was raised in Spanish Fork and most of her family still live there. Her brothers and her dad have been volunteer Firemen for the Spanish Fork Fire Dept. for as long as I can remember. She actually just blogged about them recently (check her blog a couple of posts back). So, we have always met in front of the Fire Station on Main Street to watch the parade. Even now, we meet there. And, as soon as the parade is over, the kids run into the Fire Station and climb on the old Fire Truck. Mom's and Dad's stand around taking pictures and then the kids go for a ride around the block. I remember doing this as a kid, and now my kids will hopefully have the same memories. This year, Cari and I let mom take all the pictures while we cruised town on the Fire Truck with the kids (no need to mention that the Fire Fighter that was driving was somewhat attractive and Cari is single again). And, after the excitement dies down at the Fire Station, next stop is Glades, of course. We don't even wait for noon to hit.. it's so yummy! My kids were worn out by the time lunch was over. I think the 100+ degree weather helped tucker them out. So, we left with only seeing a few of the booths by the park. Cari and my parents stayed in Utah County until the rodeo at 8 that night. Die hards, huh? I love the 24th. I love tradition.
2 comments:
Aimee,
Great entry...I love reading about other people's traditions. I feel tradition-less on many holidays (Pioneer Day being one of them). Cool fire truck!
We have a long standing 24th of July tradition, and I too love that we just do it every year. I LOVE traditions. BTW, Fiddler is one of Cory's absolute all-time favorite movies -he can sing you every song word for word. I wouldn't ask him to do it though - you'll regret it. Ha ha.
Post a Comment