Several times Jer has brought the subject to my attention. His concern being the cost for Direct TV in 4 rooms, safety (given that the t.v.'s were on their dressers), and the fact that they stay up watching the Disney Channel till way too late. I admit - I wasn't sure I wanted to fight that fight. I was sure all three of them would end up in our bed or that they would make 30 visits to our room each night.
Needless to say, we did it. We took the t.v.'s out of their bedrooms. No more Direct TV, no more dvd players, no more game cube... just lights out. And guess what! They lived! They survived! And so did I! It has been hilarious! They go to bed at 9 and they are asleep by 9:15. They are happy in the morning when it's time to get up (mostly). They didn't come in my room a million times every night. In fact, there wasn't really even an adjustment period. It's been about three weeks and we are still doing great. Not even a temptation. They don't even ask.
Here's the best part of the story. I was going through all of Emma's school work and came across this little ditty:

Every Monday morning at school, Emma does a Weekend News paper. They draw a picture of something they did over the weekend and then write a short story about it. This was her Weekend News. I love it! I laughed so hard!
"Party Mom" still exists, but t.v. watching in the bedrooms doesn't. I'm such a loser. I don't even think I want to read your comments. I already feel ashamed just posting this. It was therapeutic. I will learn from my mistakes. Maybe.
6 comments:
yes that makes you sooo horrible!!! First you gave them tvs and now you take them away.
I'm so proud of you...
#1 For making a big "change" in your house. (We all have things we need to give up, but its so hard!)
#2 Telling everyone about it.
You're great Aimee! I still want a piece of this party mom though...we'll definitely have to hang this summer!
Aimee, I feel the same as you. My boys do have chores to do, but they each have a cell phone (it's for my peace of mind,ok?), the latest game version of nintendo, and Tyler does have a tv and direct tv in his room. I don't think my boys would describe me as a party mom. Because I'm sooo mean!
Good for you!!! I'm going to have Mandy read this. Her son has a tv and it's been no good for him, but she has 100 reasons why she can't take it away, most because she doesn't want to deal with the fight she thinks is coming. My kids were never allowed t.v. in their room for numerous reasons and they think we are the meanest mom and dad because Mandy's 3 year old gets one and they don't. However, I'm ashamed that my little baby, not even two, asks for "candy." I just blame the girls.
Okay...party mom is now mom of the year!
Good for you. So, what kind of tv's were they... how big, etc and where are they now?
Post a Comment