Sunday, November 7, 2010

I'm Ron Burgandy?

I have been wanting to blog about my other half for a while. He doesn't love it when I post pictures of him and I'm pretty sure he isn't comfortable with me blogging about him. But, I am the boss of this blog and I say too bad.

I find myself using him as an example in my Young Women lessons quite often. I realized today, after telling the girls how disciplined he is, that he is an example to me in so many ways. I know I am biased and I'm sure a lot of you can say that your spouse is an example to you. But, lately I can't help but brag about him. Since I could probably go on for pages and pages about him, I'm going to limit myself and only list ten things about him that inspire me.

1. self control. In January of this year, Jer decided he was gong to lose weight. I'm not sure what inspired him, but he set a goal and has followed through with his plan. I think we all decide at one point or another (or many points) to lose weight or diet or start an exercise routine, but it is so hard to stay dedicated. He did this many times. But, 2010 has been his year. After hours and hours at the gym, miles and miles of running or biking and serious self discipline with his diet, he has succeeded. I don't think he would appreciate me putting numbers in my post, but I will tell you is stinkin' close to hitting his goal weight. At this point, he says he is in the Drew Carry stage where so many people are complimenting him that it's hard to keep going. He needs people to start telling him he looks like he is gaining so that he get's fired up again.

2. my cup is half full. Jer has always been able to see the brighter side of things. But, lately I have needed to rely on his positivity more than usual. I am a pretty optimistic person, but with the heartbreaking "event" that happened last month (refer to empty chairs and empty tables) I have needed to lean on him a little more than usual. While he is still hurting with the rest of us, he has been able to see the good in all of it. Every time I say something negative, he catches me and reminds me that we need to just remember the good and let the bad stuff go. He has always been able to stay in touch with reality and keep me from being negative.

3. Soccer Dad. The last thing on earth Jer ever wanted to do was be Josh's soccer coach. He has always worried about making it hard on Josh by having to differentiate between dad and coach. But, I can honestly say this has been nothing but awesome for both of them. He has been coaching for a few years now and Josh has never once started crying over something Jer told him. He appreciates all that his dad has to offer. I never wanted to be the keepers mom. There are moments in every game that I hate watching, but there are a lot of priceless moments that I wouldn't have any other way. The picture below pretty much sums it up.

4. his sense of humor. I love love love his sense of humor. Some may not appreciate it. He is rather sarcastic. But, I laugh every single day. Even when he is having a bad day, he finds a way to make me smile. He is a pro at quoting movies and commercials. It seriously makes me laugh so hard. "I'm Ron Burgandy?" I think sometimes people don't know how to take him. This tiny picture below is a great example of his humor. Jer is so not a U of U fan. I've been wanting to post this picture forever 'cause he looks awesome, but I can't get it to "normal" size. Oh well. Still funny.

5. father's instinct. I know most people say it's "mother's instinct" and for the most part I think I'm pretty in tune. But, I have learned to listen to Jer. He is more involved in his kids lives than some dad's. I always tell him he is a helicopter dad (a trait he get's from his mother) hovering over each of his kids. He has a gift. He can always tell when something is going on with one of his kids. He's very in tune with the Spirit and his feelings. I love that he is not afraid to talk about anything with the kids (even when Emma asks him what a tampon is). I always hope that getting through the teenage years with our kids will be less difficult because of his ability to be so in touch with them. He is a teenagers worst nightmare.

6. Honesty. As long as Jer and I have been married, he has been some kind of a salesman. I think we can all admit that most salesmen aren't all honest. I believe that the reason Jer is as successful as he is in his career is because of his integrity. He has always put that at the top of his priorities. He has watched coworkers lower their standards at times for an extra sale and yet he has sacrificed a "big deal" more than once because he wasn't willing to be dishonest. I appreciate his ability to stay strong (again - self control).

7. He is humble. This one makes me laugh because he is going to die when he sees that I posted a novel about him on my blog. He hates attention. I remember a time when he worked at GE (doing mortgages) and they put a picture of him and wrote up a blurb about him in the company newsletter. He had consistently been one of the top performers and was being "rewarded" for his efforts. He was so uncomfortable with the attention that brought. He doesn't like to be the center of attention yet he will go out of his way for just about anyone. In 1992, Jer and I were on our first date on our way to a BYU game. We watched an accident happen just yards in front of us. He pulled over immediately, grabbed the BYU blanket out of the minivan and wrapped it around the driver of the car that was in shock. He waited until the police got there and when we left, he left the blanket with that stranger. He has always gone out of his way for even people he doesn't know - hoping that no one brings any attention to him for it. I'm sure he will be embarrassed that I remembered that.

8. memory warehouse. There's people that have a photographic memory. And there are people with a memory warehouse. Jer has the memory warehouse. He remembers things that are insanely unimportant. And, he remembers things that I wish I could remember. I often laugh at the crap that he brings up. Like the date of a concert he went to in high school and who was there and what song the band played first and who opened... and so on... down to the very last little detail. He likes to claim that he can't speak Russian anymore because it's been too long. I call B.S. on that. He still has it. Along with what color his underwear was at the last basketball game he played in in junior high.

9. multitasking? Some call it multitasking. Some call it ADD. I don't know what to call it with Jer. He jokes that he is "mental." But, having ADD actually has it's benefits. Jer can flip channels like no other while reading his e-mail on his phone and listening to a conversation in the room. And he will remember it all. Ha ha. I appreciate his ability to multitask. I've learned that when he seems like he is doing ten other things and not listening to me, he actually is getting every word. He is amazing.

10. he worships ME! Yep. That's right. After being married for almost 15 years, he still worships the ground I walk on. He is always worrying that it's too much or that I'm going to get sick of him. But, I feel pretty lucky to have a guy like him be so in love with me. Even after years of getting to know me for who I really am, he still likes me. It's a good thing.

I could go on with many many more, but I will stop at ten. Love you, babe! Thanks for being my best friend.

4 comments:

Hendricksonblog said...

Wellllll, that was just plain old sickening sweet and nice and he is totally going to be uncomfortable about it (I'm with him on that attention thing) but with that being said it sounds like he deserves for other people to know how great he is.
Will you just let him know that I think he is starting to look a little slobbish......get a move on lazy!
I too agree that he worships you and many women would love to have a husband treat them half as good.

The Royals said...

Jer sounds pretty awesome! But Brent is way better. I am with Jer on the "stop telling me I look good" thing. Someone needs to tell me I look like I'm putting on a few.

kath said...

his momma thinks he is pretty special too!! (ewww that will get him)

Julie W said...

What an Awesome read! You've got one GREAT guy there, that's for sure!!

FIFTEEN Years

Independence Day 2008

Disneyland Vacation 2008

California Adventures

Sea World

Breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen

Newport Beach and The Crab Cooker