Tuesday, December 23, 2008

It's the most wonderful time of the year!

A lot has happened this month and I haven't been very good about staying current with my posts. I don't know why, but I am starting the winter out with constant sickness. I have gone from a cold to the flu to a cold. Not to mention the root canal that put me out for a day or two. I haven't exactly been "mom of the year." Mom's aren't supposed to get sick. I can't call in sick or take some time off to get over it. Though, I have anyway thanks to a great hubby that takes care of things when I am unconscious.

For Erin's Birthday, we were planning to take the kids to Temple Square and see the lights. After watching the weather, we decided to go the day before her birthday to beat the storm. I am so glad we did! The kids love this tradition. We take Trax into downtown and really it's only a short jog from 2100 South, but oh how they love the "train ride." We got off at Gateway and had dinner at the Skybox. From there, we headed over to Temple Square. The kids think it's great that you can ride Trax from one stop to the next. It's funny how much they love it. Fortunately, the weather was pleasant. I used to hate going to Temple Square as a kid. For some reason, I thought my parents were trying to torture us with cold weather and too many people in one place. So, I am constantly asking my kids if they are having fun because I don't want them to feel like they are there for me. But, I am quickly learning that it is a stage with kids. Josh is currently in the "I hate doing stuff with my family all night" stage. I thought this was a teenage thing. The funny thing is that he is always begging us to do something as a family.. play a game, go to a movie, etc. I guess walking around in the cold with his sisters isn't his idea of a good time.

It seems like Temple Square gets better and better every year. This year, they had Mary, Joseph and baby Jesus on the water in the middle of the pond. It was beautiful.

Josh was avoiding the camera. He frustrates me, but what is a mother to do?




The next day, December 13, was Erin's fourth Birthday! My baby is 4! I can't believe it's been four years since my baby was born. She is our angel. When Erin was born, so many things in our lives changed. She brought a little bit of heaven with her and life has only gotten better and better with her in it. December 15 is Jer's birthday (we won't say how old) and he never wants anything. He says Erin was the best gift ever and you can't top that. I do usually try to at least take him out to dinner and a movie, but needless to say, this year we didn't even do that! I owe you a date night, babe!

(Emma, Erin and Ella)

That morning, she and Emma had a performance for Tumbling. We had to be there at 9am and the snow was really coming down. It was an adventure. They both did a great job. I was freaking out inside when Erin actually got up there and did it! She is so shy! All those nights of sitting at the dance studio paid off. (If April, Ella and Neve weren't there, I don't know if we would survive Tuesday nights.)

(Erin and Neve)

The rest of her special day was not exactly "special." This is where the guilt comes in as far as being a sucky mom. I went home and went to bed. Yes, I spent her entire day locked in my bedroom with the flu. So, Jer played Barbie's with her and helped her potty train her Baby Alive baby. Thank goodness for daddies that love playing whatever it is his little girl wants to play.

We were planning to have the family over Sunday for cake and ice cream. We decided to call everyone and put the party off. I was worried about exposing everyone to the flu bug right before Christmas. But, grandma's and grandpa's toughed it out and came anyway. And Aunt Cari. I don't think Erin feels too bad about everything since she is still being showered with gifts ten days later.


And, the last thing to blog about before Christmas (since it snuck up on me and is here) is my Grandpa. I talked about my cute grandparents in my Thanksgiving post. And, as I had suspected that Grandpa's days were numbered, he passed away on December 19. My sweet grandpa was 88 years old. While I am heartbroken over not being there for the funeral (of course, it's today and I am sick), I am so relieved to know that he is happy and healthy again. The last couple of years were really hard for him and all of us that love him. He had Alzheimers
and watching him go through all that the disease brings on, wasn't easy. My grandpa had the best sense of humor. He used to tell Lynsee that her hoodie was on backwards. He'd tell her to "turn it around and cover up that ugly face." And, he was quite the card player. I think everyone is still arguing over his "cheating" skills. A favorite memory of mine with grandpa, is of him letting us squish into the basket that was on his motorcycle. He would give us a ride around the block in Springville (oh how illegal). The funeral is right now, actually, and I am missing it. But, I know that he knows how much I love him. And, I know I will get to see him again in his perfectness. I am so grateful for all he taught me but mostly for all he taught my dad. My dad is so much like his dad. I love that. He has a great sense of humor, but mostly has a love for his kids and family that is indescribable. My dad is amazing and I know it has so much to do with his parents. Love you all!


5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Aimee-
Sorry to hear about your grandpa. I'm also sorry to hear you had the flu! (Although some also refer to it as morning sickness........:)

Erin looked like she had a great birthday. She's a sweet gal. We'll have to coordinate pre-school next year since our kids both have late birthdays!

Merry Christmas!
PS We ended up at Thai food tonight & I thought of you guys. We'll have to hook up after the holidays for Thai!

The Royals said...

Sorry about your Grandpa. My Grandma also had alzheimer's. It's crazy what that disease can do to a body.

Josh sounds just like Alex. He wants to play board games and video games, but hates going places with us. Unless it's one on one without his brothers.

Anonymous said...

Hey Aimee-
I hope you are feeling better! I love that you mentioned Grandpa's motorcyle! We live just a few blocks from their old house on center street, and I always try to plan my runs so I can run past their old house. I loved that motorcyle, and some one in town has one that looks just like it, even with the basket! I missed the funeral too, we tried to get there and got as far as Nephi and had to turn around, the weather was awful on Monday. Hope you guys had a great Christmas!

Anonymous said...

I was sad both that you and Mandy weren't able to come down for grandpa's funeral, we missed you, but understand being sick, hope your feeling better, I love the memories of that crazy yellow motorcyles he had and the tire swing, those we're the days. Have a Happy New YEAR! i can't believe how old your kids are getting! Does that make us real old???

Stephanie said...

So I'm finally getting around to catching up on friend's blogs, and I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandpa's passing. What a hard time for your family, but surely a sweet 'freedom' for your Grandpa to leave his body overtaken with Alzheimers.

Much love.

FIFTEEN Years

Independence Day 2008

Disneyland Vacation 2008

California Adventures

Sea World

Breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen

Newport Beach and The Crab Cooker