Sunday, June 14, 2009

It's no fun when mom is sick



I swear when I turned on my laptop today it said it was June 14! Yet so many other things are telling me it's still winter! Not only has the weather been less than summerish, I've been sick for a week! And we're not talking allergies or a headache. It's been full on cough, sore throat, aches and pains, fatigue, fever... wait a minute... are those the symptoms of the swine flu? Yes, yes they are!

It started last Sunday with Josh. He was complaining of a sore throat. Being mid June, I wrote it off as allergies. I assumed he had been sleeping with his mouth open due to congestion from allergies. I gave him a Tylenol and he didn't say anything about it until Monday morning. He complained of the same thing. So, I gave him Tylenol and he seemed okay. Until the Tylenol wore off. We had gone to lunch and then the kids went to my moms to play. When I picked them up to take Emma to dance, Josh said he hadn't been feeling well the whole time he was at grandma's. By the time dance was over (only 45 minutes later), he was shaking, burning up and in tears. I texted Jer (he was at a soccer training) and told him I was taking Josh to the Urgent Care. I dropped the girls off at my moms again and went to the Urgent Care with Josh. It was absolutely crowded! After waiting in line for 15 minutes just to get checked in, we decided we didn't want to spend four hours in the waiting room. So, we scheduled an appointment for the next morning.



Tuesday morning (which happened to be my birthday), Jer took Josh back up to the doctors first thing. By 8:15a.m., Jer sent me a text to let me know that Josh had the swine flu. They had swabbed his nose and the test came back positive. The first thing Josh told the doctor was that he didn't want to ruin his mom's birthday. He's too funny. The doctor assured him that our day was pretty much done... she explained to Jer that the entire family would need to stay home for 7 days! OH MY GOSH! Do you know what it's like to keep three restless kids inside for seven days when it's the first seven days of their summer?

So, here's where things get interesting. I called my parents to let them know and within minutes my dad was sent home from work. I guess they figured he had been directly exposed to the swine flu because Josh spent a few hours at their house the day before. That was his ticket home. And, then they called and told him not to come back till next week! Woo Hoo! So not only was my dad not at Summer Camp for my birthday (like he was so often when I was young), but he got the week off work. Lol.

Poor Joshy slept for two days. They gave him a RX for Tamiflu and that knocked it down faster than we expected it to, but it still took a few days. At one point, he couldn't even walk up and down the stairs. His entire body hurt.

I spent Tuesday and Wednesday washing sheets and disinfecting EVERYTHING! So, of course, I started coughing Wednesday night. I went in Thursday to have them confirm that I also had the swine flu. They gave me a RX for Tamiflu and... I've pretty much been on the couch or in bed since then!


It's now Sunday afternoon and Josh is back to running around and teasing his sisters. I, however, am headed back up to the doctors because I have only gotten worse each day. I woke up about 37 times last night because my throat hurt. Now I have no voice and it hurts to talk or swallow. So, does the swine flu turn into strep? What the heck is going on? I'm so sick of being sick! My little family is sick of mom being sick. The kids are going bazerk all cooped up in the house for a week. And, Jer can't go back to work until Monday so he is ready to bust outa here too. Did I mention that it's been a freaking rain storm this entire time, too? I'm starting to wonder if people die from the swine flu because they get so depressed. Seriously... this is so not fun.

So there is my post for today. Lame story and a long one at that. What can I say? I have nothing else to do. I lay on the couch and play Farkle on facebook.

8 comments:

cheers for chocolate said...

Don't come over...I changed my mind. I don't want your sickness! Let me know if you have strep! Thanks for sharing!

Hendricksonblog said...

I still want to know how much weight is lost in all this?

Unknown said...

I hope you are feeling better soon. That's no fun at all.

Mandy said...

I hope you get feeling better soon!

The Royals said...

Get better soon!

Chad said...

Who'd a thunk?

Anonymous said...

thank goodness for cable.

Hendricksonblog said...

you can tell who your "true friends" are by our comments huh?

FIFTEEN Years

Independence Day 2008

Disneyland Vacation 2008

California Adventures

Sea World

Breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen

Newport Beach and The Crab Cooker