Monday, June 29, 2009

Off to Mill Hollow with EpiPen in Hand


You might think I am over reacting, but I've got some ground to make up after not calling 911. As if it's not hard enough to send your oldest away for three days, try putting him on the bus with an EpiPen in hand. Okay, so most likely nothing will happen while he's gone, but can you really trust the cafeteria at Mill Hollow to be completely free of mold? And, since he hasn't been into the allergist yet, we really don't even know what his reaction was to. For now we will go with what they are telling us from his ER visit and assume it was something to do with his allergy to penicillin. He will have to wear a cute little bracelet that says "penicillin allergy" on it and carry with him an EpiPen (which is the other drug they gave him in the ER that I couldn't remember the name of... epinephrine). My ten year old has learned how to jab the thing into his thigh in case he goes into shock again. Fortunately, the camp leaders have had some training as well. He's been gone for 15 hours and all is well so far. I'm sure he is having the time of his life, but I will sit and blog about him as I worry.
And to think I am going to send the kid away for two years when he goes on a mission. I am so understanding all that missionary mom's go through. My "new mom" little sister asked me recently when the worrying stops. Never.

4 comments:

cheers for chocolate said...

Well guess, what - I just had this same discussion with your Grandma B. She gets mad cause we're concerned about her so I asked when she stopped worrying about us. The answer - I still do! So get used to it - it just comes with motherhood (and fatherhood). There will be scout camps and school outings that will take him and your other two away, too. Lighten up. Your Dad.

Hendricksonblog said...

Good job on getting that pen. Sometimes i wish i could jab something into my thigh that could take all my problems away.

Chad said...

Tierra has a massive allergy to tree nuts. We found this out the hard way while she was in Las Vegas with Rebecca. I was home. They had pistachio ice cream and wham. Huge blue lips, coughing, and inability to breath. My sweet wife, who panics in emergencies calls me rather than 911. You would think the wife of a fireman would be better at that, but nope. So Tierra is part of the Epi Pen club now as well. All tree nuts. Peanuts ok, walnuts bad. Almonds bad. I love almonds, but sometimes just touching her skin with an almond sends her into a reaction.

As for April's comment.... I am still laughing at the imagery. " We are behind on bills. Stab!! That's better!"

Ashley said...

Josh is soooooooooooooooooo Lucky I can't beleive he got to go to Mill Hollow! I wanted to go so bad but my MOm woudln't let me Because I get a little homesick when I'm with people I don't really know and not home.But i'll probably go next year.
Over and out--> Ashley

FIFTEEN Years

Independence Day 2008

Disneyland Vacation 2008

California Adventures

Sea World

Breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen

Newport Beach and The Crab Cooker